Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hey BABY, Hey BABY, HEY!

By the grace of God the triplets finally came home from California last Thursday! My dear friend Susan had not stepped foot in her house in over 3 months (until last Thursday), and I was in charge of that nursery! I had a bit of a surprise for her, and therefore didn't want to post anything until they finally got home. I plan to meet the precious munchkins tomorrow, as I have just returned home from Alabama and Florida where I spent the last week. (great posts on this trip to come!). A few pics of the 2 rooms that comprise "baby ville" - the changing room, and what I like to call a baby "sleeping porch!".... I took these photos the day before I left for our trip, so hopefully it looked like this at Susan's first glance...


We painted stripes on the ceiling to mirror the beautiful Manuel Canovas silk cribskirts....
I found this chandelier at Uncommon Objects in Austin and painted it. My own little labor of love. :)
Crib skirt fabric is Manuel Canovas and the bumpers are Maddie Boo. Cute!

As for the "Changing Room", I was sort of struggling with it. Since there are plantation shutters, we didn't plan to add drapery. We did order a daybed, 2 gliders, and have a few pillows made, but I still just wasn't quite satisfied yet. I stayed up all night a few weeks ago thinking about what I could do to make that room more dramatic - after all, this is the room that Susan (or anyone that comes to love on the babes) will see right when they are walking up the stairs to the 2nd floor. I decided I could make a "canopy" over the daybed on a budget. I found a pair of linen panels with a gros-grain leading edge at the Pottery Barn Kids outlet that I thought could work. I bought 2 packs - (they were on clearance!)...

I took one pack of panels and drove straight over to Long Doang (nope, not a joke) - my upholsterer. I drew a box with dimensions and explained that I would like for it to be upholstered with the trim along the bottom edges. He said, "that'll be $200 and ready in 2 days". Perfect! When I saw the box after completion, I admit I was still not quite satisfied. I left it on the floor in the changing room, and went to pick up the pillows from my seamstress. She had JUST enough of the Canovas silk leftover, so we sewed the scraps together which then became the top portion of the "box". Now, I was feeling better....I am very pleased with the final product - I think it looks great! It softens the room tremendously. I found the lamp with shade at Target. The linen on the bolsters is by Dogwood, and the trim (my most FAVE) is a greek key by Samuel & Sons.


TA-DA!!!




At this time I cannot find the "before" pictures of this little guy, but I bought it about 2 weeks ago with a red cushion and stained brown legs at the Austin Antique Mall. This is obviously the "after"....


These photos are certainly not great, but in Susan's absence, the former carport-turned-family room was completed and installed as well...



ON TO BABY BOUDOIR #2:
Location: Washington, DC
Stats: Female, 2 years old

The following is the before photo of a friend's home in Washington DC. She called in the spring with news that she was pregnant, and therefore needing to transform the current guest room into a little girl's room for her 2 year old daughter. We can't have the 2 year old getting a complex once baby #2 arrives - of course not!
The bedding is by Serena and Lily, which I thought was perfectly appropriate to remain for the little girl's room. I also adored the twin beds - white tufted linen with hot pink buttons. Sounds good to me! Jenny explained that she would only like to keep one twin bed in the room, so that the little one could flop around on the floor with all of her toys. I suggested using the 2 headboards to create a dabyed. (See sketch below..)


I also suggested the following - pink pendant from Stray Dog Designs....


White area rug from Pottery Barn Kids....


Mirror from Maine Cottage....


Toy storage from Land of Nod.....


And voila! The final product! This is the only photo that I have as of now. The baby was born and I don't think photo-taking has been a priority as of recent. :( Even the dark floors were painted white! Excuse the cheese but pardon me if I am TICKLED PINK!!!



2 comments:

Natalie said...

hey meredith!! i had a blast hanging out with you this weekend and getting to know you better. i would love to say i remembered what your blog was called, but i didnt. i just googled "haute happy blogspot" and found it :)

your work is great! and you have wonderful taste. i cant wait to see more pictures. and when you said you designed handbags, i mean you didnt exactly tell me the extent of it! they are gorgeous!

hope you made it back to austin safely, tell lee hi and beware, i may just become a frequent commenter.

natalie roe

Jennie-Marie said...

Beautiful!! I love the chandelier, its identical to the one I just "won" bought on e-bay for EH's big girl room. Of course it too must be painted.