Wednesday, January 14, 2009

White House Design

As I was running around this morning, I overheard something that caught my attention - The Obamas have chosen an interior designer for "their" White House! - Mr. Michael S. Smith of Los Angeles. While my politics might not always agree with said President-elect, I will give them props for their choice of designer. Enough Hillary and Sanjay Gupta - this was the appointment we were waiting for. All we really want to know is what type of sheets will they sleep on - Sferra, or Yves Delorme? And what sofa - Christian Liagre or Rose Tarlow? Speaking of things democratic, I wonder how they ever decided? Perhaps they voted. I read an entire article recently (I believe it was on 1st dibs) about who would do what to the White House if they were chosen as the designer. The thing to remember is that after all, the White House is typically home to a husband and wife, and this time - a family. Michael Smith will be charged with making this American Icon feel like home... (photo from the White House Historial Ass'n) Image of President and Mrs. Reagan in their private residence of the White House. Beaute!
First Lady Laura Bush and Michelle Obama recently met in the private residence. I bet they spoke of this very thing! (photo from Getty Images).


The Lincoln Bedroom as shown In Architectural Digest March 2008 edition.


The following images are from Michael Smith's portfolio. Click here to see more. His style is classic, yet fresh, and I think he will be a great guy for the job - I hope that he will give it new life while maintaining and respecting the home's important history. I have admired his work for quite some time, and have many of his images filed away in my "inspiration" binders.


Knock yourself out, Mr. Smith - we can't wait to see what you do!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Funny you mention this - one of my sister's friends from high school works for this design firm and was sent out to DC to help with the project. Curious to hear how it goes!